Sunday, August 24, 2008

Justice Supergirl Action Figure


The Supergirl doll based on the Alex Ross mini-series Justice was finally released last week. What a spectacular figure and definitely a worthy addition to the Supergirl shrine. Here are a couple of other views of the figure so you can get a sense of it in its entirety.



This is one of the best Supergirl figures in recent years. It is very nice and includes a couple of nuances that I really like. One is the very long cape that Kara is wearing here. I was never a fan of the smallish cape that some artists put here in. Also, the belt on the costume is a seperate (but attached) piece. As a result it hangs a little off the figure rather than just being painted on. For some reason I think that is a very nice touch.

This costume, the 'Hot Pants' costume, was the predominant costume for most of the 1970's and early 80's. This is the Supergirl that I grew up with, learning about the older versions of her costume later on. In fact this is the costume of one of the more iconic images of Supergirl, the Rich Buckler cover for Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #1. This is one of my favorite Supergirl covers. Heck this cover was even put on a US postal stamp.


I will say that this is another of my favorite covers in this costume, Daring New Adventures of Supergirl #5, by Ed Hannigan.


So most Silver Age readers really loved the Justice mini-series. The story of the Justice League versus a Legion of Doom type line-up was coupled with old school versions of the DC pantheon. For Supergirl fans it was particularly wonderful because it was the first time we had seen the 'Hot Pants' costume in more than 20 years. In fact, it was the rumor of Kara being in the series that made me buy it in the first place. Here's a panel from Justice #7, one of the first panels we see Kara (albeit mind-controlled by Brainiac). Ross' women usually look like they are in their mid-30's, usually not a good style for Supergirl. Still, I think this is a pretty good rendition.


Now this costume has had some minor variations. Here is one of the first covers it is seen on, Adventure Comics #419. Note the beaded bottom of the shorts and the slippers rather than boots.


While this version of the 'hot pants' costume was the one in the latter Adventure Comics issues as well as the 1972 Supergirl solo title, I never was a big fan of it.

I like the boots look more than slippers; boots look more heroic.

Anyways, I recommend this figure highly to any Supergirl fan, especially those with a feeling of nostalgia for this particular uniform.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even notice that about the belt. Neat. Not only is the cape nice and long, it's thin enough that it blows in the "wind" (i.e. a fan). I really like her face, too. Beautiful figure. Should've come with a little Streaky, though. ;-)

Riddering said...

I was so excited they made a Supergirl action figure using this outfit. Like you, I tracked down the Justice series after hearing that she appeared in it. Of course, she didn't get to do as much in Justice as I would have liked but it's very cool that we get such a classy and unique action figure out of the deal. *g* There's just something about her 70s look that always appeals to me--it really distinguishes her from Superman more than a lot of her uniforms have. It's also rare to see a superheroine in actual shorts rather than a bikini-style bottom.

One thing strikes me as odd though: did her shorts-and-boots uniform not have an S on the cape, like the figure? Seeing a plain red cape really stands out here.

Anj said...

I didn't even notice that about the belt. Neat. Not only is the cape nice and long, it's thin enough that it blows in the "wind" (i.e. a fan). I really like her face, too. Beautiful figure.

I'll have to try the fan trick.

I agree the face is beautiful which has not been the case for some of the most recent Supergirl figures released.

Anj said...

It's also rare to see a superheroine in actual shorts rather than a bikini-style bottom.

One thing strikes me as odd though: did her shorts-and-boots uniform not have an S on the cape, like the figure? Seeing a plain red cape really stands out here.


Thanks for the post.

I like the shorts look as well.

The cape did usually have the yellow 'S' on the back and there are plenty of covers/panels to show this. For some reason, in Justice, she has the plain red cape.

Anonymous said...

Man how I truly love love LOVE that look! Has to be like others one of my all time faves out of her various "super" fashion trends she would go through. Heh.

That IS a gorgeous Alex Ross version of the "hot pants" Silver Age era Kara/Supergirl you've got there, anj! :D

However, in having said all of that I have to say that I never could understand as to why Alex Ross didn't do abouts connecting her cape to her "neck choker" itself as you so kindly showed as being the case when the artists of that eras drew it as looking like, e.g.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pScx8BN4h3s/SLAJaBJqjcI/AAAAAAAAA0A/WqbTJYZtU_o/s320/sgirl+10.jpg

Clearly you can see that her cape was always meant as to be actually connected to her neck choker itself an NOT as how Ross has it as being in Justice or his Supergirl action figure from that line here, no? :/

P.S. anj, you forgot to mention the fact that the cape itself seen worn there was actually made from Kryptonian material and in turn could actually stretch among other super abilities unlike to that of Earth's. ;)

Anonymous said...

It certainly is a very healthy...looking doll.
:D
For the record, BA-Supergirl's neckline plunged but stopped well north of her belly-button.
:D

I loved" Justice" despite Kara's extended cameo status, I was half-hoping that she was playing possum during her capture to get inside the Legion of Doom's scheme.
Alas no, I had to be content with the bracing spectacle of Supergirl (Marv Wolfman's so-called "barnacle on Superman") NUKING Poison Ivy in issue #12.
The 11th Commandment of the Metropolis underworld "Thou shalt not mess with the Maid of Might's dignity, lest she rain down vengeance upon thee and nuke thy backside mightily"
:D

I'd pay good money to have another visit with this Supergirl either by way of a one-shot or an Elseworlds, I like the new Kara but miss my old favorite still.
Get Mark Waid to write it and Ross to paint...I know it is a fantasy a man must dream.

John Feer

Anj said...

For the record, BA-Supergirl's neckline plunged but stopped well north of her belly-button.

This is the deepest plunge of the shirt that I have seen in a bit. Still, it has fairly modest cleavage.

I loved" Justice" despite Kara's extended cameo status, I was half-hoping that she was playing possum during her capture to get inside the Legion of Doom's scheme.
Alas no, I had to be content with the bracing spectacle of Supergirl (Marv Wolfman's so-called "barnacle on Superman") NUKING Poison Ivy in issue #12.


I loved that. Just delicious retribution!

Marc Burkhardt said...

The Bronze-Age uniform is what I grew up with as well ... and definitely holds up the best next to the classic Jim Mooney look.

Anj said...

The Bronze-Age uniform is what I grew up with as well ... and definitely holds up the best next to the classic Jim Mooney look.

Despite being an 'old school' Kara fan, the Matrix version of the costume is my favorite.

But 'Hot Pants' is definitely a close second.