Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Renato Guedes Super-title Annual Covers



Over on the DC blog, Matt Idelson has revealed the covers for this summer's super-title annuals all done by Superman artist Renato Guedes. Here is the link: http://dcublog.dccomics.com/2009/06/08/renato-guedes-tackles-covers-for-action-superman-and-supergirl-annuals/

I love Guedes' work, especially on covers which usually have an 'old school' movie poster feel. The Supergirl Annual #1 cover, in particular, is fantastic. That is one intense and powerful Kara we are looking at there. Here is the description of the annual:

And on 9/2 we have the SUPERGIRL ANNUAL, by Sterling Gates, Fernando Dagnino and Raul Fernandez, gives readers a look into the lives of the two ladies of the Superman family — Supergirl and Superwoman. What’s a day like for Supergirl in her secret identity? Also, what drove Superwoman to become the threat she is now?

Dagnino did a serviceable job on last issue so I expect the inside art to be fine.

I am very happy to hear that we will finally see some more of Linda Lang. She has only been seen in one panel of the title and that was half a year ago! 'Linda Lang's first day' sounds like a fun story. And I love the classic 'opening up the shirt to reveal the S-shield' bit on the cover. That pose has been done ad infinitum with Clark/Superman so why not with Linda/Supergirl.

And, hopefully, more light will be shed on Superwoman's origins in the other story. It looks as though Lucy may have faced off against some Amazons in the Amazons Attack storyline. Maybe that caused her to side with Daddy against super-powered beings.


I really like Guedes' art and have always enjoyed his take on Supergirl. I thought I would post his Supergirl concept pics from when he was taking over the title during the Bedard issues. I posted these last August too.

These pictures caused the standard forest fire on the net with people complaining that his Supergirl looked fat, old, and ugly. That was the exact opposite of what I thought! I thought she looked young, healthy, and beautiful. And his line work is so spectacular.

Oh ... and let's not forget that Guedes was the first to put her in the bike shorts (see lower left). And yes, there was an inferno about them back then too. He suffered the same slings and arrows that Jamal Igle has.

I really think this his is an excellent take on Kara. I would definitely definitely try to get a commission from Guedes if he was at a convention I was attending.



The other covers are also striking.

Here is the cover for Action Comics Annual #12. I figure those are Thara's parents on the cover as we learn more about her back story. And he makes the Flamebird and Nightwing 'power suits' look formidable.

And this is the cover for Superman Annual #14 which covers some of Mon-El's past.

Looks like it will be a great summer over in the DCU!

12 comments:

jeff Caporizzo said...

Guedes pencils are some of the best linework I've seen in comics, and for Supergirl. Do you see how the way he draws the figure gives us information about the character? What she may be thinking or feeling? He's delivering content beyond just a visual record. You couple this with a good writer and you get something special.

Heath Edwards said...

the supergirl and superman books are in great places at the moment. and with guedes on art, its going to be a time remembered...

TalOs said...

I'm finding myself getting really psyched about all the titles (not just Supergirl's) as of late, heh. :P

Man that art is to die for! WOW!!!

TalOs said...

Hey y'all, look what was just posted up at Newsarama! Official sneak peek at Supergirl #42! :D

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=28620#comments

Anj said...

Guedes pencils are some of the best linework I've seen in comics, and for Supergirl. Do you see how the way he draws the figure gives us information about the character? What she may be thinking or feeling? He's delivering content beyond just a visual record. You couple this with a good writer and you get something special..

Thanks for the post!

I think Guedes has really been solid on the Superman title so hopefully you have enjoyed them too.

His covers are definitely just a cut above his inside artwork. That Supergirl cover is spectacular.

Anj said...

the supergirl and superman books are in great places at the moment. and with guedes on art, its going to be a time remembered....

Thanks for the post.

I have to say that I was worried about the 'Year without Superman, but the books have all been solid.

I think it will be a time to remembered if only for how much is being added to the current mythos.

TalOs said...

I think it will be a time to remembered if only for how much is being added to the current mythos.

Well when you put it like that Amen to that, Anj! :D

Jason said...

Did anyone else pick up on the line in the Supergirl Annual description that reads,"Also, what drove Superwoman to become the threat she is now?" I wonder if this means that Lucy somehow in fact survived since the present tense is used.

Anonymous said...

Oh undoubtedly Superwoman is alive, she has far too much potential as a villainess...Besides, I don't think management would approve making SG an accidental murderess just when things are on the upswing in this book.
Guedes always gives young Miss Kara expressive eyes...sometimes sad sometimes sly...You just wanna buy her a milk shake or something she look so burdened by things.
John Feer

Anj said...

Oh undoubtedly Superwoman is alive, she has far too much potential as a villainess...Besides, I don't think management would approve making SG an accidental murderess just when things are on the upswing in this book..

Thanks for the post.

I agree that Lucy has to be around somewhere. No way that Gates/Igle would make Supergirl a murderer after all the work to rehab her.

Gene said...

That cover looks excellent! I can see that on somebody's desktop. I really like how she is revealing her S with a noble pose. Guedes draws her very well, how people could see her as fat and old is beyond me.

Currently I am reading the Brave and the Bold Lords of Luck TPB, and I think George Perez did an great job in making Supergirl appear adorable in that arc.

Anj said...

Currently I am reading the Brave and the Bold Lords of Luck TPB, and I think George Perez did an great job in making Supergirl appear adorable in that arc..

I agree.

Kara looked great and acted perfect in that comic.