Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Animated Supergirl Show!


In what has to be considered great news, a DC Nation animated block on Cartoon Network was announced yesterday ... and that includes animated Supergirl short features. Here is a link to the official story from the MIP Junior conference from Cannes France:
http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php/news.php?action=fullnews&id=1139

As always, the whole article is worth reading, but here is a blurb setting things up.

Sam Register confirmed the title of the next animated Batman series, due in 2013. Register, executive vice president for creative affairs at Warner Bros. Animation, closed the MIP Junior conference in Cannes, France on Sunday, October 2nd, 2011, with a keynote address on upcoming Warner Bros. Animation plans. MIP Junior is an intensive two-day conference agenda of debates, interactive workshops, pitching and matchmaking sessions that update executives and consumers on the latest developments in kids’ entertainment.

So the big news was at new Batman show, Beware the Batman, which will have CG animation. It also will have Katana in the role of sidekick. More on this in a bit.


But this was the big news for me.

The creator behind My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic working on a series of animated shorts teaming Wonder Girl, Batgirl, Supergirl called Super Best Friends Forever.

How fantastic is that? It is the DC Trinity of heroes ... kind of. While this isn't the best pic, it is the only one showing Supergirl, clearly sporting some version of the Matrix costume complete with red pleated skirt.

I can't help but think that the buzz created from Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade, as well as the positive internet buzz from things like the Mike Maihack DC Fifty-Too as well as other Supergirl/Batgirl webcomics (like the one by Johnny Zito and Tony Troy of South Fellini studios) helped DC and Warner Brothers realize just how great a Supergirl/Batgirl World's Finest style show could be. I don't know if this will be Donna (my gut tells me yes) or Cassie.


And it being produced by the folks who make My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic show. I was introduced to this show by the supergirls at home and I have to say it is pretty funny and has great animation. Trust me, you haven't lived until you see Rainbow Dash fly fast enough to cause a Sonic Rainboom!

So great characters from a great creator/production studio. I can't wait to see these.


Here is a shot of the Batman show. Adding Katana is a interesting wrinkle. And there will be other animated shorts of the Doom Patrol and Plastic Man. Most know I am a Doom Patrol junkie, so I am thrilled to hear that too!

I think Young Justice and The Brave and the Bold were high quality shows and I am hoping that these new shows, a DC block of animation, will also be fantastic.

And a new Supergirl, Batgirl, and Wonder Girl show! Too fantastic!

6 comments:

Gene said...

This year has not been an easy one in the comic book world. So the news of Super Best Friends Forever with Supergirl has made me enthusiastic beyond words. The fact that it will be made by the same people who gave us the new My Little Pony makes this a complete and total WIN! Can't wait to see it...

Can't say I feel the same about the new CGI Batman show. After reading the announcement, I get the feeling that WB Animation is running out of ideas. A Batman show set in the pre-DCnU universe with Tim Drake, Steph, Cass, Damien, Oracle, Knight & Squire, and Batman Inc would have been better.

Gene

Anonymous said...

Who cares?!! Supergirl is back in action in her natural milieu, animated cartoons!
Dunno this "My Little Pony" mishaugas from a cord of wood, but if Kara was animated on paper napkins, I'd be there watching!
Color me happy, and who knows, "The Simpsons" started out as short subjects look how that bad baby grew!

John Feer

Anonymous said...

I'm happy, either way! ^_^

Ayhe said...

Animated Supergirl?
Yay!!! :D :D

Gene said...

Here's Lauren Faust's Devianat Art page:

http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/

Gene

Anj said...

I can't wait to see this. And the CG GL looks pretty good too.