Saturday, April 28, 2012

Boston Comic Con: Joe Benitez Commission



I have to say that I wasn't originally planning on getting a Joe Benitez commission when I went to Boston Comic Con last week. While I am enjoying his steampunk comic Lady Mechanika, there were other artists I was hoping to land commissions from.

When initially it looked like I might not be able to get a Francis Manapul piece, I looked around to see who still had space on their list. Benitez did. As I have been enjoying Mechanika more than I thought I would, I figured what the heck.

This is one of the more stylized commissions in my collection. And one of the things I look for in commissions is interesting takes on the character of Supergirl. This certainly stands out for that reason. I like the subdued colors here. And the face and hair are nice.

But I don't exactly know how I feel about it yet. The neck seems a bit long, the back a bit too bent. It is almost swan-like. And certainly not what I had envisioned in my head from Benitez.

I don't know if it will ever be one of my favorites but it sure is unique and will probably get a strong reaction one way or the other. It'll probably get some good conversation going. And I guess that alone makes it a good piece for the collection.

What do you guys think?

2 comments:

Gene said...

I think it looks great. A very stylish interpretation.

Unknown said...

Omg It is awesome for the reasons you stated!! We forget that these are comic characters who can be interpreted in various ways buddy! I love Benitz' work at DC (Titans)!!!