Saturday, June 1, 2013

Superman 75 Years


Earlier this week, DC Comics revealed their new logo honoring the 75th anniversary of Superman as well as discussing some of their plans for the Man of Steel over the year. Here is the link to that press release:
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2013/05/30/warner-bros-entertainment-dc-entertainment-celebrate-supermans-75th-with-new-logo

I like this logo, a classic sort of silhouette take on Superman. The numbers seem a bit wonky but there is strength here. The red banner adds a splash of needed color.

Here are some of the blurbs:

The new animated short, currently in production, is being produced by Zack Snyder and pays homage to Superman and many iterations of the Super Hero throughout his 75 years.  A sneak peek of this short is planned for Comic-Con International: San Diego in July and the finished version will debut late summer.

I have read that Bruce Timm is also involved in this film, showcasing Superman in comics, films, and television. That should be cool.

And then some plans
  • “Superman: Unbound,” an all-new DC Universe Animated Original Movie that pits Superman against Brainiac—a devastating force of flesh and machine with Earth squarely in his sights—was released on May 7 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.
  • “Man of Steel” and Superman products are available for fans of all ages, including toys, costumes, apparel, party goods and publishing from Warner Bros. Consumer Products.
  • “Superman Unchained,” the much anticipated new comic book series that centers on a mystery that is frustrating the hero in both the Superman and Clark Kent aspects of his identity ultimately revealing a brand-new villain, debuts on June 12 from DC Entertainment.
  • “Infinite Crisis,” an all-new multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game that delivers a heart-pounding competitive player vs. player battle experience set in the legendary DC Multiverse, a world in which familiar DC Comics characters such as Superman have been reimagined in startling ways, debuts in fall of 2013 from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
  • “DC Nation” Superman Shorts, a series of all-new Superman-themed animated shorts produced by Warner Bros. Animation and airing on Cartoon Network’s DC Nation block throughout the year.
  • DC Entertainment’s “We Can Be Heroes” giving campaign launches its second crowdfunding initiative in June focused on Superman and featuring one-of-a-kind experiences and limited edition merchandise to engage, excite and empower legions of fans.  Get something good.  Do something great.
I have talked about Superman:Unbound already. I am salivating for the Man of Steel movie. I am looking forward to Superman:Unchained, having pre-ordered by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez variant cover. And I can't wait for the 'We Can Be Heroes' Superman campaign. That is going to be great!

But hearing that Superman shorts will be produced for the DC Nation block! New animated Superman! That sounds great. I hope we get to see a lot of the Superman mythos in these!

Hopefully, 2013 is the year that Superman rises back to the top!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

The DC MOBA is coming from Turbine in Boston. They currently make Lord of the Rings Online which I've been playing for 4 years and is pretty good.Hopefully the MOBA will be better than the Marvel Universe one.
DC Universe Online has been having many updated lately-housing, a 'Quantum' power set (like Dr.Manhattan)2 'multi-verse' raids.

Martin Gray said...

I don't the logo; I like the idea of it, the silhouette, but the lack of legs, and the non-motivated the into the 5, puts in into the 'near miss' category.

PRgirl1294 said...

I like the logo; it's pretty cool. BTW, I thought you were gonna review the Smallville Season 11 Special. Sorry if I seem naggy about it.

Anj said...

Thanks for comments.

I'm just glad to see Supes get some publicity.

PR Girl, I will be reviewing Smallville, probably Tuesday. Early info - I thought it was great!

LJ-90 said...

I like the logo, I don't love it, but I like it!
I'm dying to see MOS, unfortunatly I won't be able to see it at midnight cause I have an exam at 8 am and now I'm being responsable so...
Quick question: Will you review the movie? That would be great.

Anj said...

Thanks for the comments.

Seems like we all like it, not love it. Understood. Great minds think alike!

I am hoping to see MoS on opening day and will review it here!