Thursday, January 8, 2015

DC All Access


I have been pleasantly surprised with the amount of publicity DC has been giving the new creative team on Supergirl. Between interviews on the usual websites and videos on DC All Access, the creative team has been spreading the word about the 'new' Kara and  Crucible.

And that coverage reached a wide audience of DC fans this week when the Supergirl book was the topic of the DC All Access page in all comics this week!

The opening paragraphs talk about angst and confusion but there isn't the bratty negative overlay of prior runs and prior runs publicity. Instead this one goes on to talk about the new direction and Crucible.

And mentioning the new Batgirl and Divergent is savvy. Both of those properties are wildly popular right now.

In fact, I keep wondering why this run hasn't caught the 'lightning in a bottle' that Babs new direction has. This Kara is strong, independent, heroic, and fierce. The book has a female writer and artist. The concept of Crucible is solid and fun.

I can only hope that this little article entices some new readers into the fold.

And kudos for DC for promoting the book!

6 comments:

Martin Gray said...

It's great that DC is behind this run, as you know, I doubted the wisdom of another change in direction but I'm undeniably loving this. Perkins, Johnson, Lupacchino and co have a beautifully measured touch and I'm certain I'll enjoy their run as long as it lasts. They're growing Kara and her world, and I like that.

Gear said...

It's great to see DC giving the book some publicity!

I'd say there hasn't been the groundswell like for Batgirl for three reasons. First, Kara's not a Bat family character, even minor Bat stuff always gets people spun up. The second is there hasn't been a signature identifying visual to grab attention and excitement like the new Batgirl costume. That snap-on cape and yellow Doc Marten's got fans talking and drawing fan art. And finally Cameron Stewart tweets up a storm, just like Simone before him, keeping a running conversation going with the fans and in general keeping a high profile.

I'm surprised that with Perkins and Lupacchino on Supergirl nobody is pointing to the fact that one of DC's oldest female superheroes is being written and drawn by women. How often does that happen?

Anonymous said...

> I'm surprised that with Perkins and Lupacchino on Supergirl nobody is pointing to the fact that one of DC's oldest female superheroes
> is being written and drawn by women. How often does that happen?

Probably not often... but pardon me for taking a contrarian view about "women writing / drawing women characters." Personally, I could
care less about the creative team's gender; think it's been said numerous times here : does the person / team a) love the character they're
doing and b) are they doing interesting stories with the character?

THAT'S what's going to keep me coming back.

Back to Anj's post though -- just as a thought for 2014 / 2015 Best Moments, DC pulling out the stops in promoing Supergirl! Keep It Up, DC!


Regards

Anj said...

Thanks for the comments.

Anon, I agree that the quality of the story will always trump who is doing the book.

That said, I look at some sites which are always promoting books by women, for women, sympathetic to women ... and Supergirl is never plugged there. And I sorta scratch my head.

So I am glad that DC is letting people know how great the book is.

Anj said...

Mart,
I also worried a little bit that the new direction was taking Kara off Earth. But it seems that Perkins/Johnson is keeping Earth in Kara's thoughts ... talking about Michael, etc.

Loving this so far.

Anj said...

Gear ...

How I wish that something about Supergirl would spark the comics world like yellow Doc Martens!!