Thursday, November 30, 2017

February Solicits

The DC February solicits came out a bit ago but comic news has kept me from reviewing. I have to say, thankfully, there isn't anything unexpected on the list here. That means my Holiday-empty wallet will get a bit of a break.

If you want to see all the solicits, I'd advise to head here, the Newsarama post:
https://www.newsarama.com/37433-dc-comics-february-2018-solicitations.html

I include a non-Super book I am pumped for and I showcase a Supergirl statue I won't be getting. But onto the books.



SUPERGIRL #18
Written by STEVE ORLANDO and JODY HOUSER
Art and cover by ROBSON ROCHA and DANIEL HENRIQUES
Variant cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
“PLAIN SIGHT” finale! Director Bones and the D.E.O. put innocent lives at risk when they unleash a psychotic alien on the National City Solstice Semiformal with the hopes of exposing Supergirl. With the alien claiming the only way the Earth can stay pure is to eradicate Supergirl, Kara finds herself pushed to the edge and forced not to stay silent anymore. Supergirl must finally stand as the hero National City needs.



First off, I love the cover which has a great 'old time' horror movie poster. Or maybe even a film noir. Regardless of genre, I love it. Fantastic.

Who could the psychotic alien be? Is it a deep cut from DC? Someone we've seen in the book already I'm forgetting? Looking forward to this!



ACTION COMICS #997
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by WILL CONRAD
Cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
Variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
“BOOSTER SHOT” part five! Superman and Booster Gold are stranded in time on a world ruled by not one but two Generals Zod! As Lor-Zod asserts himself as rightful heir to the military dictatorship of their adopted homeworld, Old Man Zod turns his attention to the interlopers from the past. Our heroes’ only hope of survival is to repair their craft and get home—but to do that, they’ll need to travel into the belly of beast!




Hmmm, Superman on Krypton means no powers! As this is a follow-up to the Oz Effect storyline, an arc looking at the new dynamic between Superman and his father, I like the idea that we are looking at Zod and his father as well.


But what was Superman expecting??




ACTION COMICS #998
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND
Cover by WILL CONRAD
Variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
“BOOSTER SHOT” part six! Escape from Planet Zod! Superman and Booster Gold must escape to travel back to the present, where the life of the captured Sam Lane hangs in the balance!




Sam Lane captured? Captured where?


Okay, wasn't expecting that. But since this is looking at Jor-El/Superman and Zod/Lor-Zod, why not add Sam/Lois!






ACTION COMICS #1000: 80 YEARS OF SUPERMAN HC
Story and art by various
Montage cover by JIM LEE
Join us for the 80th anniversary celebration of the most important comic book in American history: ACTION COMICS #1, featuring the first appearance of Superman! It’s an extraordinary party as we revisit stories from across the decades, featuring the debuts of not just the Man of Tomorrow, but also Supergirl, Brainiac, the Fortress of Solitude and more! See the work of generations of top writers and artists on the original superhero! Enjoy sparkling essays from literary wizards who have won Pulitzer Prizes and hit the bestseller lists, including Jules Feiffer, who relives his memories of when ACTION COMICS #1 first hit newsstands. Plus, a historical essay by guest editor Paul Levitz, and all one thousand ACTION COMICS covers presented on a special 30” x by 39.75” poster! And as a bonus, don’t miss a previously unpublished 1940s Superman tale believed to be written by Jerry Siegel with art by the Joe Shuster studio, salvaged fifty years ago and hidden away until now!
This new hardcover serves as a companion to the ACTION COMICS #1000 comic book coming in March!
On sale APRIL 11 • 384 pg, FC, $29.99 US


Thirty bucks!!!
 I have to admit, I am intrigued. I am most interested in the essays most of all. And which stories will they pick? Will Action #252 make the cut?

Okay, I'd love to hear that a soft cover will definitely happen. But if I have some Christmas money left over, I might be in.


SUPERMAN #40
Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art by DOUG MAHNKE and JAIME MENDOZA
Cover by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC
Variant cover by JONBOY MEYERS
 "SUICIDE PLANET" part one! Far away in a distant solar system, a world stands on the brink of destruction, much as Krypton did so many years ago. As Superman and son venture off into space to help, an unexpected adversary stops our heroes dead in their tracks: these people wish to die.

SUPERMAN #41
Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art by ED BENES
Cover by VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC
Variant cover by JONBOY MEYERS
 "SUICIDE PLANET" part two! Superman and Superboy battle the alien extremists of a world on the brink of disaster in the hope of saving them from themselves!

 I am a fan of James Robinson stuff in the past. I liked his Superman stuff and his New Krypton stuff. But I didn't like Cry For Justice. And I haven't been big on his Wonder Woman stuff. So I hope this side plot is done okay.





SUPER SONS #13
Written by PETER J. TOMASI
Art by CARLO BARBERI
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
“Mother’s Day” part one! Talia al Ghul returns for her son Damian, whom she trained from birth to be an assassin. With the evil in Robin’s past finally revealed to Superboy, it might be too much for the Sons’ partnership to survive…especially when the boys find out her next victim is one of the most important people in their lives! 



Still pumped about a Lois/Talia interaction. 


I suppose Jon would have no idea about the Al Ghul side of Damian. Can he be buddies with the son of super-villains? I can't wait!




NEW SUPER-MAN AND THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF CHINA #20
Written by GENE LUEN YANG
Art by BRENT PEEPLES and RICHARD FRIEND
Cover by PHILIP TAN
Variant cover by BERNARD CHANG
“SEAS OF CHANGE” part one! It’s the dawn of a new era for the Justice League of China! The New Super-Man of China and his teammates have struck out on their own, and even the Ministry’s newly formed Lantern Corps is no match for this renegade force to be reckoned with! But as China’s superhero community reorganizes itself, trouble is brewing in North Korea…and from the depths emerges a new metahuman that will change everything.


A new direction and a new title. But let's be honest, this has basically been a JLC book anyways. Kenan might have been in the spotlight but they were right there.

I am glad this book is surviving!




THE TERRIFICS #1
Written by JEFF LEMIRE
Art by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
Cover by IVAN REIS
Bound together by fate, united by the spirit of exploration and hope for tomorrow, the Terrifics bound from the Dark Multiverse of Metal! When Mr. Terrific, Metamorpho, Plastic Man and Phantom Girl find themselves literally bound together by a tragic accident, our team of unlikely allies must rely on one another to make their way back home. But a startling revelation on their return trip brings them face to face with a new mystery: where in the universe is Tom Strong? 


Not a super in sight.

But I can't wait for this new Fantastic Four ... I mean The Terrifics! Plus Phantom Girl! 

Love Jeff Lemire and I think he is going to bring some joy to this book and universe!




GOTHAM CITY GARAGE: SUPERGIRL STATUE
Tattoo designed by KATHERINE BRANNOCK
Sculpted by JAMES MARSANO
Who needs a bike when you can fly? Kara Zor-El (a.k.a. Supergirl) shows off her strength (and tattoo) by holding up a motorcycle engine block in this unique addition to the GOTHAM CITY GARAGE statue line.
Limited Edition of 5,000
$125.00 US • On Sale JULY 2018


Gotham City Garage is just not for me. I don't think I will be getting this statue. But it is being solicited and I am glad that Supergirl is being represented in all the different media and memorabilia.

So maybe there is an extra purchase this month after all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Supergirl #18 sounds good. I hope we have a good finale. So the alien wants to "ERADICATE" Supergirl? Hmm...

I'm not too interested in that AC storyline. Someone calls me when the Super-Family is whole again.

The AC #1000 hardcover is interesting. I'm glad that Supergirl is getting a mention. Since it's supposed to feature debuts, I imagine AC #252 will be included. And a Siegel/Shuster story? May it be "The K-Metal from Krypton"?

I hope Kara also makes an appearance in the proper issue #1000.

Talia Al-Ghul. I'm sure Damian is jealous of those children whose parents are "nice" enough to leave and never return.

"New Superman" sounds interesting. New Lantern Corps? How can the Chinese assemble their own Lantern Corps? They have managed to reverse-engineer a Ring?

We'll see if the new direction works or the book gets cancelled anyway.

... Why is Phantom Girl teaming up with...

Never mind. This is a completely new team so we can get some fresh stories out of it for once. And if Marvel refuses to publish a FF book, then obviously DC must step up to the plate.

"Gotham City Garage is just not for me. I don't think I will be getting this statue. But it is being solicited and I am glad that Supergirl is being represented in all the different media and memorabilia."

Absurd impossible tattoos aside, it's a nifty statue.

I'm glad, too. As long as DC keeps selling SG merchandising, she'll keep being profitable, which means DC will not try to kill her and replace her again.

Mela said...

"it might be too much for the Sons’ partnership to survive"

Just like last month... and the month before that... Seriously, Super Sons, unless a cancellation is announced or my wish for it to be retooled into the adventures of Connor & Jon miraculously comes true, no one is gonna believe this. Find a new way to hook readers.

Frankly, after Cry for Justice, I don't trust Robinson near any superhero with a family. Looks like this is a fill-in, but if it becomes permanent, I know exactly where this is going.

And I am so psyched for The Terrifics it's ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

> But it is being solicited and I am glad that Supergirl is being represented in all the different media and memorabilia.

+9000 to that Anj! I'm kinda torn myself on whether to get it or not, but for all the Supergirl lovin'! NO COMPLAINTS HERE!!


Regards